About Me

My photo
I'm 20 years young and overflowing with dreams, so much that I might end up drowning in them one day.

Friday, July 22, 2011

The Need To Be Creative

The night before last I started really thinking deeply for the first time in a long time. I am always so busy getting stuff done around the house or preparing for a trip or whatever it is that takes up every minute of every day that I never take the time to just sit and think. So there I was, thinking--I mean SUPER abstract thoughts--and I just started scribbling all over multiple pieces of paper as fast as I could, trying to keep up with my brain that was moving well over 1000 mph. I've never written so poorly in my life. I'm not even sure I've ever been so engulfed in my own brain before. But by the end of the night I had realized that I've been completely suppressing/ignoring what little sense of creativity I have, and that I need to let it out. Someway, somehow. I think inside of everyone there is some unsung desire to be creative, because we're kind of programmed around this whole idea of creation, making us want to be creators ourself. We're finite creatures. We're not going to be around forever, but what will we leave behind when we're gone? I don't want to leave this world knowing I only consumed, consumed, consumed. As Lily Allen puts it, we're "weapons of mass consumption." Yes, I just quoted Lily Allen. But the point is, we're so obsessed with what everyone else creates that we disregard our own desire to create and end up losing our own imaginative abilities that we once held so dearly as children. So this is my shot at getting that ability back. I want to unlock that natural ability, allowing creative tendencies to continue and evolve, and make something out of my dreams, memories, thoughts... etc. This is my attempt at turning mind into matter. Once I get my piano back in my house I can start making music again, but for now, this and tumblr will be an outlet for my minuscule portion of creative thoughts, and I guess where I'll talk about what's going on in my world. So, it begins now...?

No comments:

Post a Comment